Thursday, June 25, 2009

I believe IT'S WRONG to whoop kids!

Why is it that child abuse is outlawed but an occasional whipping is tolerated by law enforcements?
If it doesn’t bruise, it is alright? As children grow up many parents tell their children, “if someone puts their hands on you, don’t fight back, tell an adult.” Well what happens when an adult hits you? Parents do not want to be told how to raise their children yet they throw hypocritical ideas at children all the time. The mere whipping of a child, no matter the minority of the hit, is not right. I believe whooping a child is wrong.
Every parent wants a “good” child. The definition of a good child is one of which follows the rules, does great in school, and is respectable. A child is not good unless they do everything right; one wrong decision could cost a young child a reputation. I for instance, have a 13 year old cousin named Covaciè. His mother was barely around to raise him yet if he was suspended from school for fighting she was the first to get the call. I recall him telling me stories of how she would wait for him to get home and when he walked in the house he went straight to his room for his whipping. He did not rebel, just waited. The lashes would sting against his backside but they did not change his mind at all about fighting. He even said that he did not believe she had the right to hit him but it was his mother and he would never hit her back. Covaciè told me that he did not understand how the whipping could affect him. He received a whipping for hitting someone and his mother said it was wrong to put your hands on anyone, yet her form of punishment was hitting him. Today he lives in Madison, Wisconsin with his grandparents. He goes to school, plays sports, and has not been suspended. This whole time he has been in Madison his grandparents never whooped him, they just talked out their problems with him and occasionally grounded him from the computer. So did the whippings matter? Did they make him a better person in or was it better for him to live with grandparents that never have laid a hand on him? It seems that talking to him about issues made him choose better paths and want to achieve. Whipping children does not make them “good” but rather rebellious or dishonest.
Telling the truth to your parents about a bad situation is hard for most children. All they can think about is the consequences. No child wants to get a whooping especially if they are going to get it for telling the truth, so they lie. My younger brother is 7 years old and 2 weeks ago he got hit by a car. The car was only going about 8 miles per hour so he didn’t get hurt just bumped in the legs. He played outside the rest of the day and acted as if nothing happened. At around 10 p.m. our next door neighbor came over and asked my mother if my brother was alright. The neighbor explained how she accidently bumped him with the car while pulling in the drive way. He was running across the street and she was terribly sorry. When my mom asked my brother if he got hit, he denied it. He denied it for about 30 minutes before he finally confessed that he got hit but he was not hurt. Some many wonder, why did he lie? See in our house if you do not follow the rules you get a whooping. He had crossed the street to get his ball when it rolled out of the drive way. While doing so our neighbor was pulling in on the other side. They collided but there wasn’t a scratch on my brother. He was not supposed to be in the road but because he was scared he would get a whooping, he lied. He told my mom nothing happened. What if he was hurt badly? He should have been able to tell my parents that he got hit without fear. I think fear of whippings drives children to lie more.
Lying, fear, and rebelling, are all aspects of children’s emotions when they get in trouble. Children should be able to be open with their parents and talk about the problems or mistakes they make. Parents should not hit a child for making a mistake but rather let them learn from it on their own. I believe that whipping children is wrong.

6 comments:

  1. Good job. Very pertinent and strong comments. I like how you never waver in your opinion--you tell it very straight up and to the point. You make a powerful powerful point when you say that when parents whip their children to make them good kids, the kids actually turn out to be more rebellious and dishonest. Very insightful. Good essay. You are a writer.

    Instructor Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, do believe that hitting your kids is wrong. I would want my children to know that I will never hurt them and that they can always come talk to me about anything. I want my child to feel safe at home, because home should always be the safest place for a child. A child's relationship with their parents should not be based on fear, but on love. I thought you did a great job on this. More people should be more concern about this topic. I am glad to hear that your cousin is on the right path now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wifey,
    I think this was really good. I liked how you used your own cousin as an example of someone that was abused. I totally agree on how whopping children constantly is bad and does not show kids how they should act. However, I disagree that "whopping" kids is always bad, because I was hit sometimes by my parents but as bad as it sounds, I'm glad I did. It shaped me up as a person and taught me respect, but that was only when I acted really bad. So I like your point on how child abuse is bad and it doesnt teach kids how to act and only teaches them bad things. good essay, though!
    Yo man--Enis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also believe that hitting a child is wrong. Like when i use to get in trouble my gram would go get the wooden spoon. Then after that my dad would get his belt out. It made me want to get into more trouble because i was pissed they hit me. When i got older, i dont get into trouble. You wrote about something really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really good. Children so do not deserve to get abused because at a young age they don't know the meaning from right & wrong. This was a very strong topic & I agree that getting whooped is a bad thing. NO child deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is powerful many time throughout the essay i thought you made wonderful points and i continuously shook my head in agreement. my two favorite points you made in your essay was the one about how can you punnish your child for fighting by hitting them that just seem unjust. Another was the fact that out of fear your brother didnt tell because he feared getting whooped which could have had a negative effect if he was seriously hurt as you said. these things you've mentioned is an ongoing thing in kids lives and thier really is not end because parents feel they have the right to raise their child their way. which is true but sometimes everyones methods can be improved to be a better parent.

    ReplyDelete