Tuesday, July 7, 2009

i belong to writing...

I Belong to Writing…
With who do I belong? In this world, this city? With these fakes and these phonies? Do I recall friends or just associates? I believe I decide my words and my actions. I belong to myself. Only I can make my decisions and only I can follow through with them. I choose my friends and even the family I’m around. I belong to paper and pen because I write my every lyric down to express my life. Journal after journal, poem after poem, I fill the notebooks, the margins, the binds with words. Rhymes without reason, I’m lyrical. I belong to culture, that hip hop, R&B, pop kinda culture. I write. I put lines on paper that sometimes make sense. I belong to emotional writing.
“Silent…
I remain silent because I can’t say what’s on my mind. I close the door, the window and drapes of this open mind so the syllables don’t slip out. The emotions hold back behind cold eyes and a stiff smile. Why don’t you see me? I’m noticed by all but you. Hands shaking with weakness as my words pull away to be free. The box doesn’t work, its outta order. I tried to open the shades and let the sun in but I’m mad at him. His rays don’t beam at the heart, but only my surface. Nobody will get in, not you, not him, not her, not ME! I can’t reach in to share my secrets with myself. Dark secrets sit in a treasure box locked without hope. You hold the key, what are you waiting for? Free me! Let my soul ease, let my heart beat, let me…be me!”

Poetry and short spoken words are not just a hobby. I love to write and I belong to that atmosphere. Words on paper can mean more than the words of mouth. They hold more enfaces and empower thoughts. Words slip out and come out wrong but writing rarely needs correction. Every line can be about something different but when a piece is finished it means so much more than the average essay. I belong to writing and the lyrical atmosphere.

4 comments:

  1. "I belong to myself. Only I can make my decisions and only I can follow through with them." This quote right here shows sooo much and proves a lot also. People do make their own decisions and some don't but some do follow up on them & if you want to make it in life you need to follow up on the decisions you make. Whether it is good or bad. You are a very good writer and I, myself, enjoy your work. It is very inspiring. Keep it up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job. I enjoyed reading this piece. I thought you were really creative and your words are very meaningful and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Linh said, this is a really good writing piece. It's already obvious that you have a talent for writing, but it's another thing when what you're writing has meaning. good job!! you are a writer. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you truly do belong to writing and you expressed it in this piece. your last paragraph is my favorite because you really justify your reasoning to belong to writing and you touch on solid points. about how writing is sometimes better expressed that words and when your finished it means so much. I also agree with you saying it empowers your thought, because its a form of expression and so on. lastly great way of showing your skill in writing by including a poem.

    ReplyDelete